Monday, April 2, 2012

Sowing Seeds of Peace

This week jury duty, a personal Ensign article, general conference, and life collided to help me re-evaluate where I am with forgiving others.

I have to admit that I had some strange emotions going to Fairfax County Courthouse.  Although I was filled with memories and emotions from my experience 4 years ago, it was good to realize that I couldn't even remember what courtroom we were in for John's trial.  Something I thought I would never forget.  And I have.  God is merciful. 

Todd's brother Mark contributed to the section in the April 2012 Ensign titled "Of You it Is Required to Forgive".  http://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/04/of-you-it-is-required-to-forgive?lang=eng  It came a great time.  It was a great comfort being able to read it through again while I was sitting in the courthouse.

Recently I've had a few people I interact with regularly accuses me of wrong doing. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, but it's frustrating when it does.  Friendly feedback is one thing, but when you don't feel like you have done anything wrong it's very tempting to become offended.  Regardless of if there is a right or a wrong in a given situation, or if there there is a simple difference of opinion, we are required to forgive.  It's often difficult to know when to address things with the other person and when to let it go.  Unfortunately it can be almost as hard to let go of the little offenses as the big ones; they can be equally damaging to us if we let them.

Elder Uchdorf talked about this in general conference.  One particular question in has given me cause for thought. "Do you exclude, push away, or punish others because of something they have done?
How do you reconcile this in your own life?  I think it's natural to share more personal things with those who care about you and have exhibited their concern.  I think that's ok.  Is it ever acceptable to exclude someone who has previously been disruptive or insensitive in a situation?  What do you use that as guiding principles?

1 comments:

juanita said...

HI Carrie- beautiful post, I am glad you had a good experience with that article and that it gave you comfort. When I read it, I had wondered if that referred to you and your situation, I hadn't wanted to email you about it, to do so didn't seem right. I am glad you are doing well and feeling Heavenly Father's mercy. Your questions almost seem rhetorical as you are a living testimony of the value of forgiveness and one who does good despite horrible pain. And I am glad this week will be a week of joy for you! Juanita