Saturday, July 25, 2009

July Birthdays and Boys


Both my roommates had Birthdays in July. Congrats to them both!
My good friend Gwen also had a July birthday, with a nice round number! She had a Harry Potter birthday celebration, with an awesome cake, and some Gryffendor colors.
I knew I would miss the first half of her party, so I went to see the Harry Potter movie the night before - Friday, July 24. Now, this was a Friday night, the second weekend it was out. I was up in Wildwood New Jersey, and was able to get to the theater in time for the 8pm show. Imagine my surprise when at 7:45pm I went into the theater and no one else was there. It was uncomfortable enough just being there by myself, but the solitude definitely helped accentuate that fact. Finally just after the previews started a couple came in, so there were at least 3 of us for the movie!
Often I don't mind going on trips by myself, but as I was preparing for the Delaware Bay Lighthouse trip, I was thinking that it would be nice to have someone along. Earlier that week I had a "just friends" discussion with a good Mormon boy I was impressed with, which left me a little deflated and frustrated. On the way to New Jersey I drove through areas with strong connections with my last boyfriend, who I often miss. Camping by myself also brought back a lot of memories of my blissful state of life four years ago when I last went camping by myself in Connecticut, just before I met Devin. After the movie I was still feeling a little lonely when Heavenly Father helped add a little humor and perspective into my life. I looked over and there was a guy in a truck checking me out and trying to get my attention. It was a good reminder that I don't have to be alone. There are plenty of options out there, but it's best that I'm looking for something specific! (You know - someone who respects me, inspires me to be a better person, etc.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need to talk boys some time!! You don't know how many times I gave Les the "Just Friends" lecture! Cyndi

Erin said...

we need to get together, too. you're right--there are a LOT of options--not all of them worthy of even thinking about--out there.