
I have a great Mother. She often asks me probing questions about how I am doing, and really wants to know. When I talked to her on Mother's Day she asked how I was doing, knowing that sometimes Mother's Day can be particularly challenging. I could honestly say that it wasn't that bad. With our "new" ward, we just had one hour of church, and it was fast and testimony meeting. I had just been at a baby shower the day before, and was feeling happy at getting in some baby time while I was there. Plus, Tyler gave me flowers and made me dinner. Last Sunday things were going pretty good.
This Sunday hit me a little harder. We talked about Mothers in Sacrament meeting, and for some reason I was really unprepared, and ended up bawling. (Okay, I was able to limit it to two tissues, so it was more like a small trickle.) It wasn't tears of sadness, but simply tears resulting from an emotional topic. Sherri Dew was quoted as saying: "Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us." It's definitely challenging to be a mother. I hope that my comments don't take anything away from Mothers, and their sacred role. I'm just going to say that it's ALSO challenging being single and figuring out who I am and how to best fulfill my role, especially given that Motherhood is supposedly the essence of who we are as women.
It probably didn't help things that I have nieces and nephews that I don't live near and don't reach out to nearly enough, that Tyler and I have taken a step back, and there were many dear friends at the baby shower this Saturday who had either waited a long time to get pregnant or were still single.
It was one of those Sundays that was difficult, emotional, but probably also a really good thing to evaluate who I am and who I want to be. It's one of those motivational opportunities to plead with the Lord to make sure that my focus in life is in line with His will and what he would have me do. I am so glad to be back in a family ward.
http://lds.org/general-
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705372649/A-womans-sacrifice.html?pg=2
Sunday, May 15, 2011
Motherhood
Posted by Carrie Johanson at 10:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We love you Carrie! I think that you do an excellent job continually preparing yourself to be a mother. You are a great aunt, woman, sister-in-law, and friend!
Hi Carrie,
I'm not sure how to word this post because I haven't been in your situation so I'm just going to say what you wrote today helped me with the situation that I am. Thanks for always being willing to share your emotions and uplift others.
Amy
Post a Comment