In a Department of Commerce hearing this afternoon there was reference that the Decennial Census is so far behind in schedule and over budget in planning the 2010 Census that they may need to furlough Census Bureau employees to recoup enough finances to continue. (Make sense?)
That means I may be filing for unemployment soon. I actually heard that they might do something equivalent to one or two days a pay period, thus cutting our salary by 10-20%. I'll keep you posted.
The Census Bureau does actually have big funding problems. Here's a link to the introductory statement to the hearing. One of the phrases that stuck out was "(THE ADMINISTRATION) PREFERS TO MOVE DECK CHAIRS ON THE TITANIC RATHER THAN PROVIDE EMERGENCY FUNDING FOR THIS CRITICAL NEED".
Thursday, April 3, 2008
I haven't blogged about work much, but ...
Posted by Carrie Johanson at 3:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's interesting. Let me know how it goes. CC School District has also announced it needs to make cuts. We think math teachers should be safe, but they are cutting specialists like music and art, then making the existing teachers travel to take care of several schools. Do you have any idea how safe your position is?
Yes, and the 2010 Census will magically go back on schedule while we aren't working on it!
I think the furlough is a red herring, or at most it was said just to draw a comparison, not to actually suggest it would happen.
Plus, I think with a furlough you'd get the back pay you would've gotten anyway (otherwise it's a layoff) - at least, that's what happened the last time the gov't was on furlough. So it's not clear to me how it would save money, and it would only put the Census even more at risk.
Though having a few months off this summer to do whatever I want sounds great... :)
Post a Comment