At church I help out with the children up to 12yrs, and always get some fun, cute stories. Unfortunately I don't write them down, and have a hard time remembering them later.
In June we talked about temples. I taught a "sharing time" and got pictures of different temples around the world. When I was talking about the Hong Kong temple, I was surprised how sentimental I became. I remember President Hinckley talking about the inspiration he received on how to build a temple in Hong Kong, by using the land the church already owned, and building up. They have used the same model in New York City for the Manhattan temple. Here's a picture of the Hong Kong temple when I was able to visit the summer of 2004.
For a few weeks I got to teach a class of three year olds. We have 4 little girls, and they are so cute. One of the girls LOVES to sing, even if it's not the song that everyone else is singing at the time. One week I was able to borrow a baby doll, and they had a blast caring for the doll, and changing it's diaper. When I explained that they were once a little baby and needed a lot of help and care from her parents, one of the girls told me adamantly that she was never a baby. She almost started to cry over my suggestion that she once wasn't able to take care of herself! They are so cute.
Last Saturday we had a Primary activity. We invited the children to bring a friend, and were happy that many of them did. Today (July 24) is Pioneer Day, the day we celebrate the Mormon Pioneers entering the Salt Lake City valley in 1847. Our activity focused on several different Pioneer activities. We gave the kids an opportunity to dress up, participate in stories, learn about the guitar and banjo, get some square dancing basics, make a button string toy, play outdoor games, and learn about preparing food. Did you know that if you shake cream, it turns to butter? Serious! We had a lot of fun at our activity. More pictures at my Picasa site.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Pioneer Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Carrie - what a fun pioneer day! 3-4 years old is the best age ever. It looks like you are having a lot of fun. :)
Post a Comment