At an institute class recently we talked about the commandment to "Be of Good Cheer". I think some people are naturally blessed with a positive attitude, and some of us have to work a little harder at it. I am so grateful for the good examples all around me that help me learn what it it really like to be cheerful amidst our adversity and successes both.
Mother's Day can be a difficult for many reasons. I think the recent lesson helped, but I was really blessed to be able to focus on some of the positives around me.
- It really was a nice day. The sun was shining and the weather was just beautiful.
- Someone in the ward anomolously gave me and Heidi and Mother's Day cake. That was really thoughtful of them.
- I have a fabulous mother. I tried to say a few extra prayers for her, as I know that this is hard for her, being the first Mother's Day without her mother.
- I've always wanted to be a mother, and have not yet been blessed with that responsibility. Sherrie Johnson, had some comforting ideas on how to be creative and positive about your situation.
- I am grateful to just soak it all in and think about the different stages of life. I know it can be overwhelming to be a young mother. I know that it can be joyous to to be a grandmother. I know it hurts when your child makes really bad decisions. I know how awe-inspiring it is to have your child testify of Christ. I know it can hurt when your precious child has been taken away. I know that there is nothing like being reunited with a wayward child who has come home. Ok, I don't REALLY know. You can't know unless you have been through it. But I was able to just soak it all in and appreciate the perspective of mothers who have gone through a lot, and will continue to go through a lot for the children they love.
- I felt particularly grateful for my almost mothers-in-law. I doubt they know how much I need them. When I am saddened by the lost opportunities in this life, it is so comforting to have someone to reach out to who is expereincing that similar loss and can provide that extra word of encouragement.
- A friend in my ward has a daughter my age who is also single. She is a great friend and it is so easy to tell of her love me and so many others. She has been through a lot of pain as a mother, and yet has an even greater capacity to love. I appreciated her kind words.
- Mothers Day is a great holiday. It is always a great idea to share our appreciate for the love and sacrifice of Mothers. They have a sacred responsibility to love and nurture their children.
- My mother has taught us so much about learning and living. I have been so blessed to have her as a mother.
- I had a really great Mother's Day. I hope that you did too!
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Mother's Day
Posted by Carrie Johanson at 3:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I thought about you a lot on Mother's Day. While you are not yet a mother to your own children, you definitely treat your nieces and nephews with more than enough "motherly" love. I can't think of an Aunt who loves her sibling's children more. I know you are going to be a wonderful mother.
Carrie!!
You are one of the most amazing people I have ever met!! I have learned so much through your example!! Thank you!!
Patrea
I think you are an awesome second mom to my kids. I can't understand how difficult Mother's Day is for you, but I don't see you as in any not a mother either, if that makes any sense. Cyndi
Post a Comment