Sunday, May 24, 2009

The song of the righteous is a prayer unto me


It seems like there has been a lot of talk in my world lately about music.

My grandmother's funeral was all about her love of music, God, and family.

Last Sunday the Mount Vernon stake sponsored a "Why I Believe" Fireside, featuring the Mormon Choir of Washington, the bell choir, and several testimonies of how music had impacted their testimony of the gospel.

Today our sacrament meeting was about the impact of gospel music and hymns in our lives, families and church service.

My fathers parents met in a choir in college. My mothers parents met in an orchestra in college. My parents met in marching band in college. My sister met her husband in the marching band in college.

Music was a big part of our home growing up. I love music. I don't always think about why I love it, I just do.

Music reminds me of family and testimony all rolled into one. Music was intrumental as I learned about my Father in Heaven, His love, and my potential. I need to do a better job at incorporating music into my home.

One part of music that I particularly enjoy is harmony. My mother taught me how to sing parts from a young age. I love to sing alto, but when someone around me is singing alto, I will often sing the melody, so that there are two parts to listen to together. I often allow myself to get frustrated with the differences around me. It's shocking that not everyone has the same preferences that I do! :-) I need to allow music and the spirit to help me get over differences, and allow me to enjoy the harmonies that can naturally exist around me.

1 comments:

Janice said...

Thank you for loving music and carrying on that legacy.