Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Arizona lighthouses


Did you know there are lighthouses in Arizona?

This is what the Lighthouse Directory says:

The U.S. state of Arizona is landlocked and mostly desert; navigation is limited to the lakes created by a series of dams on the Colorado River, which forms the border between Arizona and California. One of these lakes is Lake Havasu, where the diligent members of the Lake Havasu Lighthouse Club have been building a series of lighthouses. These lights are reduced-size replicas inspired by famous lighthouses of the U.S. and Canada. The lights are legitimate aids to navigation, with designs approved by the Coast Guard and locations approved by the state as part of a master plan for lighting the waterways of the lake. Eventually there will be more than 20 lighthouses, including several on the California side of the lake.

I saw 12 of the replica lighthouses right around Lake Havasu, and took a ferry boat over to the California side to see the replica lighthouse over there. There are more lighthouse on Lake Havasu south of the city/island, that I'll have to go back and see later. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how strong and ambitious you are. Who says "I think I'll just go and visit a dozen lighthouses today, and take a ferry while I am at it..." and actually follows through?! It takes one awesome woman to be adventurous! I know how much you love your lighthouses. I am glad you got to add a big chunk to the list.

Carrie Johanson said...

Well, I had done SOME advance planning, I just hadn't decided if I wanted to go now (over Christmas) or wait until the weather got warmer. I went to just check things out, and decided I needed to stay and see everything I could while I had the time. It worked out great.

Stacie S-H said...

Hey - its Stacie ..emailed you about the rappelling harness...neways this is a really cool post. I had no idea there were lighthouses here in Az. Wow. WOW! Def something to go check out! Thanks for the heads up!

Carrie Johanson said...

Stacie - I plan to make it back sometime this year to go down the southern part of Lake Havasu and find the rest of the lighthouses. I'd be curious to talk to some people who have rented boats or kayaks around there.