Let me tell you about PHOENIX, FAMILY, FUN TIMES, and FAITH.
I accepted an opportunity with the Census Bureau to go to Phoenix for a year with the 2010 Census. I will be a Census representative at a paper data capture center. We have contractors running the facility, and they will process about 40% of the 2010 Census responses. I started in my new area in March, and moved to Phoenix in November. I have a furnished apartment and am living by myself for the first time ever. I still have my townhouse and most of my stuff in Virginia.
In March, my brother Joshua was married. In May, my youngest brother Jake was married. It’s an adjustment going from half the siblings being single to being the only one, but I am very happy that my brothers were able to be married in the temple to women who love them. Along with the two family weddings this year we had two funerals. My nephew Jack was called home shortly after he was born. We are grateful for his shining influence of a pure heart and sacrifice. My grandmother passed away in April, and I was able to get together with many of my cousins from my Mom’s side of the family. Grandma left a strong legacy of music, learning, family, and church service.
Many of my fun trips this year were to see lighthouses. My friend Katie hosted me in Detroit in June as we explored lighthouses in the “thumb” area of Michigan. The Jones Point Lighthouse is close to my house in Alexandria, and I was happy to visit it several times and enjoy a great view from the water. I got around to taking a cruise in the Delaware Bay that I have been meaning to do for a while. Over Labor Day I explored the lighthouses in the Seattle area, and was able to visit some extended family there. SO, I have now seen 300 lighthouses!
Life is about faith. I know that I have a Father in Heaven who loves me, but that doesn’t mean I know what is best for me right now at this stage in my life. There are times I do okay at making Heavenly Father a priority in my life, and times I struggle. Recent changes have been harder than I expected, but I think the challenge will help provide perspective on how best to move forward. Todd’s murder in 2007, Devin’s death in 2005, and John’s involvement have been a huge part of my life over the last few years. I feel like those losses are like an ugly scar, and I’m not sure if I want to hide it or let people see. I am fairly reserved, but I am who I am because of experiences I have had. I am hopeful that this next year I can focus on what really matters, and becoming the person that my Father in Heaven would like me to be. I am really grateful for good friends, good family, and good people in general. I really am blessed, but I have a lot to learn.
2 comments:
Hi Carrie! Happy New Year! I enjoyed reading about your experiences and your thoughts and testimony. I hope 2010 brings many happy experiences, especially a Miller 7 reunion.
Love,
Megan
Carrie, I hope you have a really great year. You deserve it!
Post a Comment