Sunday, March 13, 2011

Loving my new/old ward

I have decided to attend my family ward, rather than continue attending the Potomac singles ward. I've had several people ask me why. So, I decided to go ahead and post about it. These reasons are in no particular order, but I did try to get them to flow somewhat…

- Shortly after I moved back I was given a calling by the Belle Haven ward Bishop to be the Mount Vernon Building scheduler. Since the singles are getting ready to move to a new building, it was time to either give up my calling, or return to the family ward.
- One singles ward is depressing enough. Three singles wards in one building just seemed to be a little overwhelming.
- I live alone and don't have any family in the area. A lot of my friends are single, and I felt like I needed a more family-like support system.
- I came to the Potomac ward with the intention of checking it out for a while and networking with other singles. I feel like I was able to accomplish that. I got to speak in church, have a ward assignment, and be part of the ward gossip.
- I can still attend FHE, Institute, and other Potomac ward activities!
- Honestly, 3-6pm church was rough. Belle Haven meets at 9am. Gotta love that.
- I appreciate the sympathy from my family ward. They know I have a lot to offer, appreciate who I am, but am also sympathetic to me being single and having experienced a traumatic loss. You don't get much sympathy for being single from others in a singles ward.
- I have a history with the Belle Haven ward. I have served in some capacity with the majority of the ward. While I have come to get to know and appreciate members of the Potomac ward individually, I love the Belle Haven ward collectively.
- I love the diversity - of cultures, of family size and shape, of age, and life experience.
- It’s easier for me to feel the spirit when I hear a child fussing than when I am getting distracted by who is sitting with who. I know it’s different for everyone, but sometimes I got a little distracted in the singles ward, and I need my Sunday experience to be about focusing on my Savior.

When Bishop Larsen expressed his concern about me leaving, I assured him that this does not mean that I have given up on dating and getting married! Because I live in this area, I have a choice about what congregation I attend. I really enjoyed attending the Potomac ward, and felt like I got a lot out of it. I am grateful for the confirmations that can come to let me know that I am in the right place/ ward for where I need to be right now.

A few recent anecdotes from the Belle Haven ward. I love the way the spirit works with me in this environment.
- A recent convert was asked to bear her testimony on the Sunday after she was baptized. She is originally from Africa. I loved how she shared in her testimony of how she came to know that the church was true. She explained that "I feel the spirit too much!"
- In Sunday School an individual shared how he had been counseling with his Bishop, and the Bishop said that there may be people in the ward who would say "I know what you are going through….and they will." I am glad that I got to hear that, and glad that I was open to the spirit. I honestly haven't met anyone else who has dated a serial killer. It is tempting to think that no one knows what I am going through. But I do know people who have gone through some really hard things. And I know that I am frustrated when people say to me that I could never understand what they have been through. It's true. None of us will know the whole situation others experience, but I think it's important to swallow our pride rather than immediately dismissing them or becoming offended, and try to learn from others what we can. Acknowledge that they are trying to be supportive, and be appreciative.
- In hosting a get-together coming up it was described that you could bring crochet, knitting, sewing, other crafts to work on, or just come to help hold a baby, or just chat. I'm not the only one who seemed interesting in just coming to help hold a baby!
- We were talking about forgiveness. I was able to comment, and many people understood a little of the background and where I was coming from, even without me having to explain. One reason I think forgiving others is so critical is that it affects so many areas of our life - our mental, physical, emotional, and of course our spiritual well being. I still have a lot to learn about repentance and forgiving others, but I know they work together hand in hand, and are critical to our day to day well being. Forgiving the small offenses can at times be an even bigger obstacle for us than forgiving the bigger ones.

1 comments:

Leslie Green said...

Hi Carrie!! What is this new building you've mentioned? We've only been gone a year but I feel so out of the loop!!!

I finally had a breakthrough in our new ward yesterday. Things are looking up! Lots of love to you!