Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Mental Health Education

Once a year the Association of Mormon Counselors and Psychotherapists (AMCAP) has a conference here in the DC area. Church leaders are specifically invited to learn more about various mental health issues and find out when to refer people for professional help. I first attended when I was RS president, but have continued to attend whenever I can, because I find it so fascinating. Whose life hasn’t been touched in some way by addictive behavior, damaged marriages, same sex attraction, ADHD, depression, or so many other mental health or emotional concerns? As friends or fellow church members, we can provide a lot of support to others by listening, and helping them solve their own problems. It’s also important to take care of our our needs and not to burn ourselves out. We also can’t solve crises for people – they have to come to solutions and peace themselves.

Of particular interest this year was some comments about depression and bi-polar disorder. I am not an expert, but I love to listen to those who are. Dr. Marlene Payne described some how prolonged depression, if untreated, can do damage to the brain. Anti-depressants can actually reverse this damage to the brain and promote healthy perspectives. I had heard that the brain does not heal, so it was interesting to hear that in some instances it can.

She also mentioned that 1 in 10 people are bipolar. That is a much higher number than I would have imagined. Only a small percentage (less than 2% of the general population) have type 1 bipolar, which can manifest itself with psychotic episodes. Bipolar disorder needs to be treated by mood stabilizers. If gone untreated, permanent damage to the brain - including memory loss can occur. She explained that when someone is "not themselves", they are in a depressive state 85% of the time, and a manic state more like 15% of the time. She thinks that often people with bipolar disorder are erroneously diagnosed with depression.

Interesting thoughts for a Saturday morning. Fortunately I got to spend the rest of the day playing board games with friends! :-)

1 comments:

Cyndi said...

Because it is more common than many people realize, I am glad there are professionals out there educating people. Our bishop sure has some uninformed prejudices that get in the way of helping people. Many people don't understand the difference between mentally ill, depressed, and lazy. It is so easy for us to judge.