Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Understanding love and sacrifice

Matthew Johnson came to Las Vegas with me, and then took my car back to Phoenix to have it shipped from there. Since people so often mispronounce our last name, my mother got a big kick out of his last name. Sure enough when we went to the temple, they welcomed me as Sister Johnson. Matthew has been so helpful in getting me packed up and move. I'm not sure what's next, but it's been great to have him around and as a friend.

I was in Las Vegas for almost a week. I thought about helping Mom and Dad with some projects around the house, but I have to confess that I didn't get around to it. I did do some shopping, quilting, and visiting friends! :-)

I had a really good conversation with one of my friends in Las Vegas. We discussed several topics where I needed to hear what I shared (if that makes sense.) I found myself bearing testimony that I know that it's critical that we forgive others - for both the big and little offenses. Relationships are important. We all have a lot to learn. Although the timing may not be what we desire, it is still critical to be prayerful. Heavenly Father will help us know if we are being too picky, or if we need to be more open to opportunities. Recently I've been a little more aware and saddened about being single. It was comforting to share the knowledge that Heavenly Father is aware of our situation and loves us. Hope is a good thing.

By a similar token, families require sacrifice. Two of my college roommates recently had little girls. What a joy to visit with them and hold these precious newborns. This is Christina's first child, and Megan's tenth! Both of the girls have some health problems that their parents are optimistic can be corrected with surgery. On top of that, both of my friends have a similar challenge in that their husbands are away, and they are taking care of their families primarily by themselves right now. We are each asked to make different sacrifices for our families. I hope that I will be ready and willing for the challenges and opportunities that come my way.

0 comments: