Wednesday, May 14, 2008

New England Lighthouses

(Left: Portland Head Light - Portland, Me)
(Right: Grindle Point Light - Islesboro Island, by ferry from Lincolnville, Me)


Since I was up in Maine for the wedding, I decided to stay a few extra days and visit some lighthouses. I understand that I missed a lot of rain here in the DC area while I was gone. The weather was a little nippy and breezy, but for the most part it was great the whole weekend. Between Friday, May 9 – Tuesday, May 13 I saw over 35 lighthouses in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. I have to check, but I think that brings my total to nearly 250 lighthouses total that I have visited.

Most of them were rather small, white painted brick. BUT, the country side and water was beautiful. Some cities have a few lighthouses, but many of them were along rather remote locations along the coast. I had a fabulous time!

(Left: View from Owls Head Lighthouse - Rockland, Me)
(Right: Eastern Point Lighthouse - Gloucester, Ma)


More pictures at my Picasa site - see the May 2008 lighthouse albumns.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Look at that hair blowing in the wind - you look like smokin'! :)

Mary Postert said...

Sheesh, you've been busy. I've been waiting for you to update your blog and now all of a sudden, I get 10 at once!