Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hawaii Lighthouses


There are three lighthouses on Oahu, and two on the island of Kauai. I didn’t have the opportunity to take the hikes on Oahu needed to get the best views, but I did get to see all three.



I just got to see Kilauea Point on Kauai. It such a beautiful setting there on the cliff.

Visiting the Barber’s Point Lighthouse turned out to be a little adventure. There are some No trespassing signs in the area, but I of course ignored them. Apparently there are sensors around the lighthouses and the police were alerted, and came to check out the area. We didn’t really get in trouble, but we also didn’t stay long enough to get a good picture of me at the lighthouse either. It’s on the southwest corner of Oahu.


I was happy to get a pretty good view of the Diamond Head lighthouse. Some of the documentation about the lighthouse said that the best views were from the top of the nearby Diamond Head crater, but we ended up getting a great view close up.














The Makapu`u Lighthouse is also best viewed by hiking up to it, but is also visible from the road. Here I am at the lighthouse, and here is another picture I found online. It really is fairly short!

0 comments: